No matter how big or small your business is, you have to be proactive and strategic about your indirect spend. Left unchecked indirect, or “unplanned spend,” can quickly become a formidable obstacle.
In today’s video, group purchasing expert (and UNA CEO) Anthony Clervi shares the one thing all businesses should know about their indirect spend. Plus, the common mistakes you should avoid, and questions you should ask your team. It’s five minutes worth of hard-won insights.
Don’t have time for a video? Skip ahead to the key takeaways.
Business Indirect Spend: Key Takeaways
The most important thing businesses should know about indirect spend
- Be proactive, don’t wait for a crisis
- Start with the Pareto principle, what can you do that will impact 80% of your spend?
- Identify your greatest areas of indirect spend, is it parcel shipping? Hotels and travel? Office supplies?
Common, unplanned spend mistakes
- Being reactive, not taking the time to be strategic
- Not thinking outside-the-box
- Trying to keep everything in-house, missing out on key partners like GPOs
- Boiling the ocean, doing a little here and there, but not moving the needle
Questions to ask your team
- What are we doing now to manage our indirect spend?
- What data can we review?
- What is the ROI of our current efforts?
- Do we have decentralized purchasing?
- Do we have any category management?
- Are we getting everything we need from our distributors and manufacturers?
- Do we need to increase our buying power?
- What are our goals?
- What outside resources could we leverage?
- What small changes could we make that would have a significant impact?
Bottom line, when it comes to managing indirect spend, it all boils down to leveraging your buying power. Whatever the size of your organization, you can gain access to better contracts and discounts than you could negotiate on your own; GPOs like UNA are a free resource that can get you there.
Even if you’re doing millions in spend in multiple categories, we can help you leverage and explore savings options that didn’t even know existed.
“You don’t need to hire category experts to save big on supplies. GPOs can deliver bargains across product categories every company uses. Ultimately, you can’t save your way to becoming a better company. But you can use those savings to provide more value — that’s how you build a better business.” – Anthony Clervi
- Find out how much UNA could save you — request a free consultation
- Learn how a GPO works here
- See how UNA helps businesses
Like what you see? Subscribe to our blog.